Get Organized: Meal Planner

K: Maybe it's the notion of "spring cleaning" that always gets me, but I find that around this time every year, I get the itch for organization. Organization is something that's always been a part of my life. Even from the time that I was little, I've never been one to have a messy space and I can't stand clutter. Fast forward to my adult years and our home is no exception. Brandon and I spend time every weekend organizing for the week ahead of us to ensure a stress-free day to day life.




We thought it would be fun to put together a series on organization. This week's focus area is meal planning. I typically cook three to four meals per week and allow us to eat leftovers one or two nights. Since we both work during the day, I don't have time to make grocery trips after work; instead, I do all the shopping on Saturday or Sunday. This means that our list has to be extensive and everything must be planned out. I'm really not a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of person and my organized outlook transfers itself into the kitchen as well. I know that not everyone shares my desire for organization, so I've got a few ideas and resources for those who are trying to up their game.



Pinterest is my go-to for recipes (you can see Our Recipes here and follow along with my pins, like the Pomodoro sauce below). One day during the weekend, Brandon and I discuss what we'd like to eat, I look up recipes, and plan for our meals. I've been using a meal planner template for years now and finally decided to make one of my own that is aesthetically pleasing. I usually list out the meals by day and then generate my shopping list in accordance with the ingredients needed.

The beauty of using a meal planner means no last-minute runs to the grocery for that one small item that you forgot. If I don't write down every ingredient that I need, I know that I'm bound to forget something (meaning Brandon then has to run to the store while I'm frantically cooking in the kitchen, waiting on that last ingredient). It's crazy how adding this one small organizational step into our routine allows our meals to be perfectly planned.

Gnocchi with Pomodoro Sauce SOURCE


I'm challenging you to try this with our free meal planner template! Start planning on Saturday or Sunday and let me know the difference you find in your week. Leave a comment below once you've planned everything and tell me which meal you're most excited about cooking! I may need to steal your recipe...






Be sure to check back next Monday for the second installment of our "Get Organized" series.



SaveSave

Labels: , , , ,